Tuesday, January 19, 2010

LOST!


This morning I awoke to the sound of a relatively new alarm clock purchased last week at an electronics store in downtown Sesto. As I still have the sound of my previous alarm clock, which had stood by me faithfully for over 15 years, locked in my head, I was quite confused by what was waking me up. Apparently I turned on my phone and threw it across the room, then knocked everything off my night stand in an effort to quiet the madness. Well done, Ryan.

So I don't get lost again, I'm enclosing a map of Sesto Fiorentino above...

After the rude awakening, I took to the hills for another morning run. Feeling adventurous, I decided to boldly go where no American should ever go- through unknown winding mountain streets in a town where nobody speaks english. Needless to say, I got helplessly lost. I was hoping for a 20 minute jog, ended up being about a 50 minute run with a dead sprint at the end to make it back to catch the breakfast buffet just before it was put away (has Nutella on day old bread ever tasted so refreshing?)

A movie recommendation for the film buffs out there... "Open City "is the story of resistance to Fascist Italy during WWII. The plot follows a Catholic priest, who leads a group of boys reminiscent of the little rascals in varying sabotages. Though the end of the movie will rip your heart out and run it over with a bulldozer, the portrayal of the hardships of Fascist rule is frighteningly realistic. It's an especially significant film because it was made in the early 1950s- and was among the first films anywhere to portray the atrocities of Mussolini and Hitler's regimes.

Presently trying to plan spring break. They kick us out of the villa that week as to force us to travel/stimulate the economy. My initial plan of pitching a tent in the villa woods probably won't work, due to lack of a tent. So, I'm thinking Austria and Germany. Created a pretty mind blowing itinerary the other day... hoping to take the railroads across the continent throughout the rest of the semester!

I'd like to wish my friends back in Madison a happy first day of classes! I didn't even realize yesterday was Martin Luther King Day. Probably because I am in Italy, and I'm not sure anyone here has even heard of Dr. King. Nevertheless, have a smooth transition back in to the chaos that is a semester at Madison!

UPDATE: Just downloaded the theme songs for both the Godfather and The Sopranos. This will surely help in my quest for an in with Italian organized crime when I visit Naples. People always say I'm just like Tony Soprano....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Villa Corsi Salviati

Villa Corsi Salviati