Thursday, February 18, 2010

Ciao, Italia!

This week has been filled with an abundance of studying (for midterms in art history and Italian) and planning for Spring Break!
Though it's been busy and at times hectic, I've still had time to enjoy the unique pleasures of living in Italy. On my run yesterday, I ascended 25 minutes into the mountains, following tourist signs to an elusive etruscan grave. Though I never reached the ancient tombs, I found a truly spectacular hill top monastery. From its parking lot, one can see over the entire city of Florence and throughout the valley. Because of the clear conditions yesterday, I had an unobstructed view of both the Cathedral and Giotto's tower.

In terms of weather, yesterday morning was the best we've had all semester. A balmy 65 degrees with bright blue skies made for a perfect morning of relaxing in the Villa's garden. This was the first time I've been in the garden without shivering from the cold! I can tell that the garden will become a very popular hang out and study spot once everyone returns from Spring Break.

This morning I went back to the convent of San Marco with my art history class. Home to an extensive collection of art by Fra Bartolomeo (or Fra Angelico as he is known, post-beatification), the site is a dream to anyone with an interest in religious history and renaissance art. Especially interesting were the dormitories of the friars- small six by six cells, each adorned with a masterpiece from Angelico for the purpose of meditation and reflection. Though it was my second visit to the convent, I can easily foresee a return trip within the next few weeks (especially with my free museum pass!)

So tomorrow morning at 6:45 am, I'm shippin' off to Boston!

Ok, not Boston. But it's a catchy Irish tune and I've been jamming to Irish music all week in anticipation of my real destination, London and Dublin!

Here are just a few of the highlights to tantalize your curiosity:
- Tour of all the sites made infamous by Jack the Ripper
- Chinese New Year festival in London on Sunday
- West End production of Avenue Q
- Midnight Comedy Club show on Saturday night
- Visit to the Guiness factory!
- Visit to the Cliffs of Moher, Wicklow National Park, and hopefully Celtic country!

Shall be a wee bit of a grand adventure!

Until I have a chance to update this after break...
Arrivederci!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Villa Corsi Salviati

Villa Corsi Salviati