Tuesday, February 2, 2010

I really wish I could make a sarcastic comment about how beautiful this place really is... but I can't.

Sunday was supposed to be a trip to Perugia, the capital of Umbria, 3 hours south of Florence. But due to fatigue and rain in the forecast, we decided to sleep in until ten, eat free meals, and chill in Florence (literally, chill. Coldest winter in Florence history).
Instead, we picked up the number seven bus and ascended to Fiesole, an ancient Etruscan hill town, now home to a few famous churches, more noted for its panoramic vistas overlooking the city. The city, like almost all towns in Tuscany, is not exactly "flat." The eight brownies I munched on at brunch were exchanged for a calf busting stroll up cobble stone lanes, separated from a potentially lethal fall by a thin, flimsy fence.






Among the highlights of the panorama were the unobstructed views of the soccer stadium, "Stadio Artemio Franchi." Sunday night, most of us from the villa will be heading to the stadium to watch AFC Fiorentina battle Roma! After the game, we're heading to Florence Pub, which is fast becoming my favorite bar, for an epic (12:30 am kickoff!) Super Bowl Party!

Today was a very busy day- headed downtown for art history to visit a monastery turned art museum, as well as the Museo San Marco. San Marco was a famous Dominican monastery, famous for Savanorola, a fire and brimstone church reformer. He met an unfortunate fate when he was burnt at the stake while being hung for criticizing earthly indulgences in the clergy and papacy. Again, I can only imagine what they'd do to me! 500 years later, the church finally pardoned this poor guy.

Tonight was the first time I met with my conversation partner. He is a 40 year old doctor for Sesto Fiorention, specializing in Respiratory Medicine at Florence's largest hospital. Though he is under the wrongful persuasion that Lance Armstrong is on roids, we got along great. He's very patient with my lack of Italian skills, and speaks perfect english. Also, he's an avid cyclist- might hook me up with a bike store later in the semester!

After the meeting, had a couple hours of orientation for Rome this weekend... Ah, the times to come!

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy your 12:30 AM Super Bowl party! I hope you'll be wearing a Packers jersey as I plan to be. I wish you could be at my party instead, though. In your absence I am making both your buffalo chicken dip and my artichoke dip. Bremer is bringing wings, too. Way to miss out! Jk obviously Italia is wayyy cooler.

    GO SAINTS! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Villa Corsi Salviati

Villa Corsi Salviati