Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Spring Break 2010: Day Eight... wow a lot of posts eh?

Wicklow Mountains

After enjoying another Guinness and listening to a great singer-songwriter duo at O'Donaghue's (one of Ireland's most famous music pubs), I headed in after one of the best days I had spent in Europe. I wasn't sure what to expect of the next day. But here's what happened:

At 9:45 am, I boarded a bus for the Wicklow Mountains, on an Over the Top Tour Company van. Today, none of my travel comrades would be joining me, since I was the only one who successfully booked the tour before it filled up. I didn't mind the independence though- ended up meeting people from three different continents! Anyway, the day began by driving in the fog (as most days in Ireland likely do). Ascending up very narrow, twisting roads, I didn't have the foggiest notion (hahahahaha) where were were heading. According to our driver, the roads we were on were barely passable- and most busses had been turing around. Good thing our driver had the ability to laugh in the face of danger!

The views of our first site were obscured by ice pellets from the sky, blustery winds, and 10 degree temperatures. The rest of the group huddled inside the van for warmth, while I enjoyed what most would consider a pleasant February day in Wisconsin! The first stops were at mountain lakes. The more notable was the Guinness Lake, a lake known for its black looking waters and white beach head. This creates the illusion of a giant pint glass of Guinness. Take a look for yourself:



As we went through the Sally Gap (known for its panoramic vistas which were wholly invisible this day), we made brief stops, including at the bridge from PS I Love You. This was an area of pristine beauty- gentle rapids, long grass, an old stone bridge. Exactly what you might imagine the Irish countryside being. Again, most of the group huddled for warmth in the van while I got out to take pictures. I even asked the guide to take my picture- though my face is blurred by a rain drop (either that or its one of those Back to the Future type omens...). I might just have to watch PS I Love You. Except it will probably be on mute while I do homework, and I'll watch it just for the scenery.





After descending just a few hundred feet, the snow miraculously vanished, and the sun came out, thus confirming the fickle, fickle nature of Irish weather. With the skies clearing, we saw a gorgeous waterfall that leaps over a cliff in several thin flowing bands of water. I hopped up onto a steep, slippery hill to snatch a few very dangerous but rewarding pictures (this drew mad props from the German gentleman sitting behind me in the van).



Net stop was lunch at a small town pub. I've found that the best restaurants in Ireland are often "carveries," or buffets at pubs that serve a small but delicious selection of traditional Irish fare- including corned beef and cabbage, fish n' chips, seafood chowder, and lamb. On this particular day, I enjoyed an order of stuffed lamb, while conversing with two college girls from Australia, who now live in France with their Spanish boyfriends. And I thought I was worldly!

Following lunch, there was an onslaught of rain. Then abundant sunshine. Than it rained like God was drowning the world. Then a rainbow. Then snow and hail and warmth and sun- and this pattern continued for the rest of the day.

The first stop after lunch was the monastic site at the Glendaloch (or, the Valley Between the Two Lakes). Built in the 7th century, the monastic site survived centuries of viking pillages, and became one of the region's most important centers for learning and commerce. The most notable landmark at the site is a giant Monastic round tower, built for storage, but also to protect against Viking raids. The front door was built 15 feet above the ground as to create a lot of space between flustered Viking attackers and the wisecracking monks.

After a tour of the monastic site, we hiked from the upper lake at the Glendaloch to the lower lake. The entire hike takes about 30 minutes, winding through a mountainous valley featuring snow capped peaks. There are numerous waterfalls and streams along the side of the trail, and many vantage points for great pictures. However, because it was absolutely pouring on the hike, my pictures didn't turn out as I had hoped. It was still a beautiful hike, and the rain certainly couldn't put a damper on the serenity of those two lakes.









After the hike concluded, we boarded the van for a long bus ride through the mountains to return from Dublin. Though I was soaked to the bone, I had a fantastic experience in the Wicklow Mountains. Even in the worst of weather conditions, they are one of Ireland's most beautiful regions. I'd highly recommend this tour to anybody in the Dublin area! And I see now that most of my pictures aren't uploading, because the internet is toying with my head. I'll try to upload some more a little later!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Villa Corsi Salviati

Villa Corsi Salviati