Monday, April 26, 2010

If every adventure went totally as planned, how could we call them adventures?

Before I launch into an obligatory exaltation of the beauty of Switzerland's mountains and lakes, the purity of its air, the efficiency of its public transport system, the bipartisan perfection of its government, or the refreshing taste of fresh chocolate and cheese, I want to describe my run-in with the swiss healthcare system.

For the last two months, I've experienced a nagging cold. Though it's never been debilitating, I certainly consider it to be quite a nuisance. Until Saturday morning, the cold remained a cold. But when I woke up Saturday morning, completely unable to breathe out of my nostrils and smell the refreshing Swiss air, I knew the cosmic equalizer had given me a sinus infection amidst my wonderful European adventure. Can't complain though- first time in 5 months of travel of becoming somewhat ill is quite the record. Today, Monday, I found that the pain in my face was too much to handle. Graciously, the family I am staying with located an urgent care facility and drove me there, providing me with an English-french dictionary to aid in translation! Within two hours, I had helped a French speaking nurse fill out a stack of paperwork, I had seen a German speaking doctor, I had received my prescription written in a scrawl typical of doctors around the world, and I had my prescription filled by a woman who spoke nothing but rapid Swiss-French dialect. What a system! Virtually no waiting, instant prescription pick-up, low costs for the uninsured, and a comprehensive overview sent overseas for American insurance reimbursement. This is how health care is supposed to work. Take notes, America.

Too tired to continue for now. Will write more tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Villa Corsi Salviati

Villa Corsi Salviati