Sunday, April 11, 2010

Sesto Festo! WOOH!

This weekend I had intended on doing nothing but homework- finishing my term paper for art history, starting my final essay for fascism, etc. But like most slots that I leave vacant in my schedule in Italy, I was of course swept into something fun and unpredictable.

The commune of Sesto Fiorentino (the suburb that I have lived in all semester) has a grand festival every April to celebrate the arrival of Spring. With over a week of food vendors, live concerts, and portable store fronts, the Sesto Festival is like a county fair, but without the tractors. There is even a beer vendor by the concert stage- Waterfest anybody!?

Yesterday, because I needed distractions from my constant writing, I escaped to the festival not once, but four times. Each time I sampled a food of a different variety- a chicken the first time, doughnuts later, a cheeseburger at night (topped with a traditional Italian blend of sauerkraut, sauteed peppers, and mayonaise- yum!) Today, after the rains ended and the sun returned, myself along with all of Sesto's 30,000 some residents returned to the market, which had apparently doubled in size overnight. This meant twice the number of free cheese and sausage samples! Also enjoyed a Sicilian chocolate strudel from a stand that is probably controlled by the Mafia.

Back to the studying- then watching the final round of the Masters tonight. Spent all night last night watching hockey and golf while my friends went out clubbin'- I'm far too cool for any school!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Villa Corsi Salviati

Villa Corsi Salviati